CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Sad Day!

Last week one night we were cleaning up after dinner. The kids were playing upstairs and the doorbell rings. It was a young couple who says to Nate, "Do you have a cat?" I knew immediately what they were going to tell him. I don't know how I knew but I just did. Nate followed them outside and came back in a few minutes later. Our cat had been hit by a car! Nate did his fatherly duties and took care of it. He buried him in the backyard. We were actually really upset by this. We had just gotten Max last summer but had gotten pretty attached to him. We decided to not tell the girls and to let them think he just ran away. I know, we took the easy way out! Except, it didn't turn out to be the easy way out! They kept searching for him and calling for him. They thought he ran away because he didn't like it here and because Brax was mean to him. We decided to go ahead and tell them so that maybe they could have some closure on the situation. I told Braylee on Friday while Brecca was at school. I explained to her that Max had been hit by a car. Apparently she didn't understand because she said, "Where is he?" "Well, he died Bray. I'm sorry," I said. She though about it for a minute and says, "Well, Mom, I think maybe we should have bought a smarter cat." She was as serious as she could be. She wasn't making a joke or anything like that. She just honestly though we should have gotten a smarter cat! You crack us up Bray!!!

Brecca didn't take it so well. We had decided to wait until Friday after school so maybe by Monday she wouldn't be so upset and it wouldn't affect her at school. To say she was upset would be an understatement! She cried and cried and cried.... for hours! She drew him a picture of her holding him and we took it out to the backyard and put it over where Nate had buried him. We explained to her that God loved cats too and he needed a nice cat in Heaven. She kept saying, "I know God needs nice cats in Heaven, but why did he have to take OUR cat?" It broke my heart to see her so upset! She went upstairs and curled up in her bed and cried. My mom came over and took her home with her and she cried all evening over there too. Poor girl. She has a slight sensitive side!

1 comments:

e larson said...

Oh, I am SO sorry about your cat!! That breaks my heart about Brecca, she took it so hard...could her and Bray be any different!?! :)